Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Time to Vent

OK! Now I have heard it all. I was recently in a conversation with another "Safety Professional", when he stated that you really could not hold that title unless you were a Board Certified CSP. Ahh, What?

I completely disagreed with that statement. Now don't get me wrong, having your CSP is probably a good thing, but does it mean that you are the best? I afraid not. All that it indicates is that a specific group of people deemed you appropriate enough to hand you a certificate and a title. Whoa, says the CSP's, its not quite that easy. CSP's have to meet certain guidelines and requirements, and then pass this unbelievable test.

True, but does that mean that they are better than, say, me? I had the fortunate ability to pass one of the five hardest standardized tests in the country (National Registry Paramedic Exam), recieved my degree in Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine and have over 500 hours of training through my local OTI. I have several certificates from NSC, NASP, and FEMA. All in all, I consider myself to be a knowledgible and well rounded Safety Professional. But am I a CSP, no. So does that make the CSP better than me? I doubt it.

In another life I worked in public safety, when one day an mandate was passed down that everyone had three years to complete an Associate Degree program or risk losing their job. The degree could be in anything, even basket weaving (if they had it). The issue at hand was that there were alot of guys that worked with me, that had been on the job saving lives for the better part of 25 years. What more are these people going to learn in a school setting that they haven't learned in 25 years?

Really all I am saying is, if your a CSP, great, but don't look down on those of us who choose not to attempt that dubious distinction. There are alot of very educated people out there that can complete a job just as well as the next person, CSP or not. Speak with them, listen to what they have to say, and you may be suprised just how over-rated some designations can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment